Rules and policies
- No coaching from the sidelines.
Cheering, however, is encouraged.
- No swearing, taunting or other inappropriate verbal or physical behavior. Unsportsmanlike play can result in: 1) warning; 2) 2-minute sitting out; (ref discretion) and/or 3) ejection from the game, the evening or the entire league (site director discretion).
- Games are 20-minute running time. There will be 2 games going on simultaneously so the clock will start for both games at the designated time. Game time is forfeit time. If your team is not ready by game time they will forfeit the game.
- Time outs are not allowed.
- Basketball: 5th & 6th grade boys and all girls’ games will use a 28.5 basketball. 7th – High school boys will use 29.5 basketball.
- Substitutions: Unlimited
substitution after made baskets or when ball is not in play.
- Liability forms: All players need completed liability waivers signed by a parent on file in order to participate.
- Rosters: Once rosters (signed liability forms) are submitted, not substitute players will be allowed.
- A team MAY play with only 2 players. (3 on
- Scoring: 2 points per basket inside the arc, 3 points per basket outside the arc.
- Free Throws: One shot will be given to a player who is fouled in the act of shooting. A missed free throw is a live ball (unless it is an air-ball). Players should line up per regular foul shot attempt. A free throw is worth 2 points. *3 points for a 3 pointer. 1 point after a made basket
- Bonus Free Throws: One shot (worth 2 points) will be given to a player fouled on the fifth foul and all subsequent fouls by the opponent. There is no double-bonus.
- Intentional fouls (no matter the time of the game) will result in 2 points PLUS the ball. If unnecessary or excessive fouls occur, the ref may impose a technical foul (2 points plus the ball.)
- Players have 6 seconds to shoot a free throw once the teams are lined up.
- Following a made basket or dead ball, the other team can check the ball in anywhere behind the arc.
- Both feet and the ball must go outside of the 3-pt line at a change of possession.
- A ball that goes out of bounds under the basket is checked in behind the arc. The half-court line is out of bounds.
- Defense gets all jump balls.
- 3 seconds in the lane. Refs will
issue reminders. Excessive violations will result in a turnover.
- A defensive rebound must be taken past the arc (this includes air-balls). There are no "free backs".
- No stalling. There will be a
ref’s discretion 30-second shot clock. Failure to shoot in a 30-second period will result in loss of possession. Ref’s discretion as to whether or not give the team with the ball a 5 second
warning to shoot before they loss possession.
- No dunking during warm-ups or games. This may result in game or league ejection of player.
- Coin flip will determine which team gets the ball first.
- Referee/court monitor: the court referee assigned to your court will monitor the coin flip, referee your game, and record the outcome with the office of ESC.
- Team Volunteers - each team will
need to provide a volunteer to help with the scorers table. Home team volunteer will keep the score on scoreboard, visiting team volunteer will keep track of team fouls and scorebook.
- Ties will be settled with a sudden death free-throw shootout. Each team receives equal opportunities to shoot free throws until one team makes one and the other misses. New shooter each time.
- End-of-season tournament. Seeding will be determined by 1) overall record; 2) head-to-head; 3) point differential over entire league
- Each team must have matching shirts of the same color
- At the end of the games, it is good sportsmanship to shake hands with your opponents.
- Help to keep the facility clean. Please, pick up your garbage
Elkhart Sports Center
1162 Fremont Ct
Elkhart, IN 46516
Use our contact form.
April - October
November - March
All hours and days are subject to change